ORGANISERS of the 2013 Big Weekend of Trucking will receive a $3000 retrospective donation to cover a shortfall caused when a NSW Government department ruling cut some of its activities.
Despite some opposition during Tuesday’s council meeting from some councillors who thought the figure too much, council approved the decision.
Cr Karen Toms said even though the donation was “in kind” it still amounted to money council had to find.
The money will come for funds in the Special Events and Festivals Sponsorship Program.
So far council has spent about $97,000 of the $100,000 allocated.
The June 8 event was put under threat when the Roads and Mari- time Services (RMS) belatedly refused permission for the closure of Prince St for the parade of trucks.
But most councillors, including Mayor Richie Williamson and Cr Jim Simmons, said the do- nation was appropriate considering the role trucking has played in the city’s development.